Tuesday, January 12, 2010

On my next trip

I don't have any immediate plans (or means) to visit England again, but I certainly will one day. And now I have somewhere I definitely have to visit on that trip!

Another find in the Ancestry London Metropolitan Archives marriage database was the marriage entry for my 2xgreat-grandparents Edmund Worledge WHITE and Ann POULTER in 1871 - coincidentally the marriage took place on the same day as my parent's wedding, 99 years later. This certificate gave me official confirmation of Ann's surname and father's name and occupation, so I could now locate Ann in the earlier census records. In 1851, the family is at "Reeds" in Farnham Surrey where father James is a farmer of nine acres (there's a second farmer also at Reeds farming a further six acres). I googled this address and came up with.....

Rural Life Centre, Farnham - yes, there's now a rural life museum on the land that my great-great-grandfather farmed! Worth a visit, yes?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a discovery! I am going to have to go now as well, looks a fascinating place. I see they have an Ag Lab family history fair on the 23rd May, think that might me going in my diary. Thanks for pointing it out.

Alex Coles said...

Do let me know what you think! They seem to have an excellent program of special days throughout the year.

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing